Whole grains have been part of our diet for thousands of years, but when refined grains entered the scene, whole grains became the less favored of the two. Learn more about the whole story below. 

Support whole grains by learning how to shop for them with these simple steps:
Product contains a significant amount of whole grain but primarily refined grains.
At least half of grains in the product are whole grain.
All grains in the product are whole grain.
If whole grain is in the product name but is not standardized, FSIS (USDA Food Safety Inspection Services) requires whole grain to make up at least 51% of the total dry grain.
Standardized whole grain products meet FDA standards and are 100% whole wheat. Standards exist for breads, rolls, buns, and macaroni products.
Identify if it is standardized or not. Not all products with “whole” in the name are made of 100% whole grains.


Look for a whole grain label.


Look for the words "whole” in the ingredient label. Refined, degerminated, pearled, enriched, are not whole grains.
Purchase grains at your local mill for ultimate transparency and reliability.



Only 3% of all American children get the 3 minimum servings of whole grains recommended.
An estimated 8% of all American adults get the 3 minimum servings of whole grain recommended.
About 40% of all Americans do not get any whole grains in their diet. The other 60% get at least 1 serving.
Our current grain market promotes the removal of the bran and germ to produce refined grains which removes important nutrients and vitamins. Enrichment can recover some but not all of the nutrients lost from refinement.
The USDA recommends 6 servings of whole grains a day, with a minimum of 3 servings, but inadequate consumption of whole grains was one of the top three causes of diet-related deaths in North America and in the world, according to a study done for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017. Cardiovascular disease, cancer, and type 2 diabetes were the leading causes of these deaths.