Prepare Flour Blend
1) Weigh out Sonora and Patwin flour so that the total flour blend is 60% Sonora and 40% Patwin.
2) Mix in stand mixer on low for 2 minutes to evenly combine.
3) Set whole wheat flour aside.
Prepare Yudane, Sponge
1) Weigh out flour amount and place in a bowl.
2) Prepare hot boiling water (95°C).
3) Weigh out the hot water and pour over the flour.
4) Use a wooden spatula to mix the flour and hot water together until uniform. The final temperature should be around 60-65°C.
5) Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
Prepare Final Dough
1) Weigh out all of the ingredients separately.
2) Place flour, 80% of the milk (75-78°F), salt, yeast, egg, unsalted butter (room temp) and yudane sponge (use warm) into the mixing bowl. Hold back 20% of the milk.
3) Use the hook attachment and mix at slow speed(1) until all the ingredients are incorporated for 2 min.
4) Switch to medium speed (2) and continue mixing until it comes together into a dough for 4 min. During the last 2minutes of mixing, add the remaining 20% of the milk slowly in 2 intervals.
6) Stop the mixer and stream the sugar into the dough slowly while mixing until optimum gluten development for 1 min. At this point, the dough will be soft and slightly sticky. Use window pane test.
7) Remove dough from the mixing bowl and shape into a tight ball. Place it in a well greased container. Cover and let it ferment for 30 minutes. The dough should double in size and be 76-80degrees F.
8) Check the dough at the 30 minute mark. Once the dough has doubled in size, turn the dough onto a greased countertop with oil spray.
9) Fold the dough in half 3 times leaving a smooth and tight top.
10) After folding, roll the dough into a 1/2inch thick rectangle that will fit the cutter.
11) Using a bench scraper, cut the rectangle in half so that there are 2 rectangles. Then, use the cutter and push down firmly on each of the rectangles. Separate and place the cut dough squares onto a greased and parchment paper lined baking sheet. Rest covered for 30 min (until doubled).
**Optional, but recommended: Shape the cut dough into rounds before placing on baking sheet**
12) Brush with egg and bake at 350°F for 20-25minutes.
Storage recommendations to serve like fresh:
Option 1: The bread rolls can stay covered on the counter for 3 days. Warm them up prior to serving them.
Option 2: Freeze for as long as you want, take out the night before to thaw and we highly recommend to warm them up prior to serving them.
This bread recipe is easy and can also be done with kids as part of a fun baking activity.