Procedures (Yields 12-16 3 ½ inch Donuts)
1) Place all ingredients except shortening into the mixing bowl. Mix at 1st. speed for 2 minutes.
2) Add the shortening and continue to mix until the dough is developed. Use the window-pane test to confirm that the gluten is developed. Dough should be extensible.
3) Remove the dough from the bowl and round the dough to obtain a surface smooth and place the dough into a well-greased bowl. Cover and let it ferment in for 60 minutes or until double in size at 30ºC (86ºF).
4) Remove dough from bowl and place it on a lightly flour counter. Use a rolling pin to degas and flatten the dough. Fold into rectangular shape and allow dough to relax for 20 minutes under a plastic sheet to prevent crusting.
5) Use a rolling pin to flatten the dough pieces until it is 1/2" thickness.
6) Use a 3 ½ inch donut cutter to cut the donut shapes. Place the donut on a lined parchment paper. For left over dough, re-roll dough into a rectangular and repeat the process.
7) Cover and let it proof at room temperature for 45-60 minutes until it is doubled in size at 30ºC (86ºF). Be careful not to over proof as whole wheat donut is more fragile.
8) Fry at 190ºC (375ºF) for about 1 minute each side.
9) Remove from the fryer and drain for 30seconds. Glaze while still hot.
Sugar Glaze and Chocolate Glaze Procedures
Mix all ingredients in a bowl with a spatula until it forms a paste. You want the consistency of the paste to be not to think or not to thick. If paste is to thick, add 1 tbsp of milk each time to adjust for consistency.