Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together Whole Grain Flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
2. Using your fingers or a pastry blender, quickly cut in the cold butter, then add golden raisins (or fruit/nuts) and toss to combine.
3. In a liquid measuring cup, measure cream. Add egg to cream and whisk to blend. Pour into bowl with dry ingredients, starting with about ¾ of the liquid (you may not need all of it) and gently but thoroughly combine. *If you feel you've made a mistake and the dough is too soft, do not fear! Turn them into drop biscuits: use a large cookie scoop or 1/3 C measuring cup to scoop equal portions and drop onto baking sheet.
4. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. It’s okay if there are still some unincorporated dry particles. Using a bench scraper, gently give the dough a couple of folds, which will help incorporate any bits of dry flour still not mixed in.
5. Pat dough into a circle roughly 8 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick.
6. Using a knife, score and cut the dough into 8 equal wedges.
7. Place scones on prepared baking sheet, spacing them evenly. Brush with cream (leftover cream/egg mixture in your liquid measuring cup is perfect for this) and sprinkle with sugar if desired.
8. Bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until scones are golden brown around edges and just set in the middle.